Frequently Asked Questions

  • Assessment
  • Which lines of business are assessable?

    Section 631.52, Florida Statutes, explains the lines of business that FIGA will pay a covered claim on and therefore the lines of business deemed assessable.  Section 631.55, Florida Statutes, further divides FIGA into two separate accounts (Auto and All Other) for the purpose of assessment. The 2021 and 2022 Assessments are only for FIGA’s All Other Account and includes the following lines of business:

    • Aircraft
    • Boiler & Machinery
    • Burglary & Theft
    • Commercial Multi-peril, Liability and Property (Non-Auto)
    • Farm Owners, Private Crop
    • Fire, Allied, Earthquake, Homeowners, Personal Liability
    • Inland Marine, Watercraft
    • Medical Malpractice
    • Product Liability
    • Private Flood

    Exhibit A: Assessable Lines of Business (“LOB”) by Annual Statement Line Number is included to further explain assessable premium written for FIGA’s All Other Account.


  • Are assessments payable to FIGA prior to or after surcharges are collected (pass-through)?

    That determination is ultimately up to the FIGA Board and is based on current and future cash needs for each of the Auto or All Other Account. Based on our current cash needs for the All Other Account, a pass-through method will be used for both FIGA’s 2021 and 2022 Assessments. Members will first collect a premium surcharge from its policyholders then remit amounts collected to FIGA.

  • Are assessment surcharges applied on a calendar or policy year basis?

    Surcharges are applied on a policy year basis for policies incepting during the Assessment Year.

  • Can members simply pay FIGA the assessment and not surcharge their policyholders?

    No. Members are required to surcharge their policyholders.

  • When are assessment payments due?

    For the 2022 Assessment, members will remit surcharges collected on or before 30 days after the end of the quarter. For the 2021 Assessment, members will remit surcharges collected to FIGA as follows:

    Collection Period Payment Due Date
    Jan 1, 2022 – Mar 31, 2022 (Q1) July 1, 2022
    Apr 1, 2022 – Jun 30, 2022 (Q2) October 1, 2022
    Jul 1, 2022 – Sep 30, 2022 (Q3) December 1, 2022
    Oct 1, 2022 – Dec 31, 2022 (Q4) March 31, 2023*

    * Fourth quarter payment includes a “true-up” of any adjustments or amounts collected and not remitted for prior quarters.

  • Are there any policyholder disclosure requirements?

    Section 631.64, Florida Statutes, explains disclosure requirements for FIGA assessments.  Members are to separately show assessment surcharge on “premium statements to enable policyholders to determine amount charged for association assessments”. Most members plan to show the assessment surcharge as one line item on the declaration page.  Our recommendation is to show the amount charged on the Declaration Page as “FIGA Assessment Surcharge”.

  • How is FIGA’s 2022 assessment surcharge computed?

    For 2022, the assessment surcharge is calculated as 1.3% multiplied by direct written premium for new or renewal policies with term effective dates beginning July 1, 2022 through June 30, 2023 (Assessment Year).  MGA, EMPA and other policy fees are not assessable. For 2021, the assessment surcharge is calculated as 0.7% multiplied by direct written premium for new or renewal policies with term effective dates beginning January 1, 2022 through December 31, 2022 (Assessment Year).  MGA, EMPA and other policy fees are not assessable.

  • If members already issued January 2022 renewals, should we apply a surcharge for the next policy term?

    The Order instructs members to apply a policy surcharge to All Other Account policies during the Assessment Year.  FIGA recommends that members apply the missing surcharge when the policy is subsequently updated or endorsed during the Assessment Year.

  • What happens if the policyholder does not pay the surcharge?

    Section 631.57 (3)(g), Florida Statutes, explains that members shall treat the failure to pay the surcharge the same as if the policyholder failed to pay their premium.

  • Is the surcharge subject to commission, premium tax, or other fees/taxes?

    No. Assessments levied by FIGA are not premium and are not subject to premium taxes, any policy fees, other taxes or commission.

  • How do members make a payment – check, wire, or ACH?

    Members can remit payments to FIGA by check, wire or ACH.

    Mail Check:
    P.O. Box 14249
    Tallahassee, FL 32317


    Wire or ACH:
    Bank Name: Wells Fargo Bank
    Bank Address: 1 Independent Drive, 8th Floor,
    Z3094-081, Jacksonville, FL 32202
    Account # 2121080820446
    ABA/Routing # 121000248


    Here is a copy of FIGA’s W-9 Form.

  • Where do members send their assessment payment and remittance form?

    Members should mail a copy of the quarterly remittance form and a check payable to FIGA at P.O. Box 15159, Tallahassee, FL 32317.  Members also have the option to email the remittance to and wire payments to FIGA using instructions provided in this FAQ.

  • Are members required to complete a remittance form if they do not write any assessable lines of business?

    No. Members are not required to complete a remittance form if they do not write assessable lines of business.  However, we would appreciate a courtesy notice from members not writing assessable lines before the first payment is due.

  • Can members remit an assessment payment for multiple companies in a group?

    Yes, but please provide the NAIC number and assessment amount for each company included in the group either on the check remittance documentation or in the wire payment detail fields.

  • What happens if assessment payments remitted are over / under reported?

    Member companies will only remit surcharge amounts collected from policyholders.  Members will be given the opportunity to “true up” or reconcile amounts following the Assessment Year.

  • Should members round the assessment surcharge amount listed on the declaration page to either whole dollar or cent?

    Our recommendation is to round assessment surcharge similar to other premium amounts listed on the declaration page of the policy.

  • How can members update their individual contact information for the assessment?

    To update member representative contact information, please send your request to FIGA at  Please include the company name, individual representative name and contact information in your request.

  • Who should members contact with questions?

    Members can reach a FIGA representative at (850) 386-9200 or can submit their questions online at

  • General
  • What is the Florida Insurance Guaranty Association?

    FIGA is part of a non-profit, state-based, statutorily-created system that pays certain outstanding claims of insolvent insurance companies. By paying these claims, guaranty associations protect policyholders and claimants. Guaranty associations are active in every state, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands. State laws require that licensed property and casualty insurance companies belong to the guaranty associations in every state where they are licensed to do business. A guaranty association system also exists in Florida for the life, health and annuity insurance industry; but they operate independently from the property and casualty system.

  • What is the role of the guaranty associations?

    Guaranty associations ease the burden on policyholders and claimants of the insolvent insurer by immediately stepping in to assume responsibility for most policy claims following liquidation. The coverage guaranty associations provide is determined by the insurance policy or state law; they do not offer a “replacement policy.” By virtue of the authority given to the guaranty associations by state law, they are able to provide two important benefits: prompt payment of covered claims and payment of the full value of covered claims up to the limits set by the policy or state law.

  • Who regulates or oversees guaranty associations?

    FIGA is administered by a board that is elected by the guaranty association members (that is, all companies writing licensed business in that state) and a Chief Financial Officer appointee.  There is oversight authority by the Florida Department of Financial Services, who reviews the association’s plan of operation, and may also audit a guaranty association.  In Florida the appointment to the guaranty association board is subject to the approval of the Chief Financial Officer.

  • Are all of the state guaranty associations the same?

    While many of the associations are based on a model set forth by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), there are differences in statutes that govern the associations and their operation from state to state, including the amount of coverage provided by the association.

  • How prevalent are insurance insolvencies?

    The potential failure of insurance companies, like the potential failure of all businesses, is an unfortunate, but inevitable, part of doing business in a free-market system.  Since inception of the property and casualty guaranty association system, there have been about 600 insolvencies.  In all, the system has paid out about $24.2 billion.

  • Where does the FIGA get the money to pay the claims?

    FIGA is partially funded by assets of insolvent insurers.  Receivers marshal estate assets and reimburse FIGA for paid claims and administrative costs related to the FIGA’s claim paying activities. The other source of funding is member company assessments.  FIGA’s assessments are capped at 2% of a company’s net direct premium for regular assessments, and an additional 2% for emergency assessment for insolvencies relating to hurricanes, on premium written in similar lines of business in Florida. The other source of funding is distributions from receivers of the insolvent insurance companies.

  • How are FIGA assessments computed?

    FIGA’s assessments are computed and billed based on the immediate needs of the guaranty association that has claims it needs to pay. Claim files come in from the insolvent insurance company; the adjusters review them, and set appropriate reserves on those files. (Reserves are the projected ultimate liability under terms of a given policy.) In Florida the assessment cap is 2% of net direct-written premium for regular assessments and an additional 2% for emergency assessments for insolvencies relating to hurricanes. FIGA cannot assess an insurance company more than the statutorily set cap on assessments.

  • What happens when a company becomes insolvent and is in liquidation?

    Liquidation is similar to bankruptcy. When a company is liquidated, the Liquidator (also referred to as the Receiver), collects the assets of the company and verifies the liabilities such as claim payments and bills. The Liquidator then develops a plan to distribute the company’s assets according to the law and submits the plan to the Court for approval. In most cases, an estate will not yield sufficient money to pay claims in full; and most are not able to pay claims in a timely manner. For this reason, FIGA and other state guaranty associations step in (depending on the number of states in which the failed company wrote business) to cover certain claims. The estate’s creditors not covered by the guaranty associations usually receive only partial payment on their claims.

  • Should I get a new insurance policy?

    Yes. Most liquidation orders cancel all policies within a certain time period after liquidation, typically 30 days. You will need to obtain coverage with another insurance company. However, we do not recommend any particular company. You may contact any licensed insurance agent to get the names of other insurers. For homeowner’s insurance information in the State of Florida, you may contact the Florida Market Assistance Plan at 800-524-9023.

  • Claims
  • What is the status of my claim?

    The processing and payment of pending covered claims will be made by FIGA (subject to the lesser of policy limits or FIGA’s maximum cap, see "Are there limits on the amount that FIGA will pay?" below). You may contact the Florida Insurance Guaranty Association (FIGA) at:

    PO Box 14249
    Tallahassee, Florida 32317
    (800) 988-1450 Toll Free
    (850) 523-1888 FAX

  • What is a covered claim?

    A covered claim is defined in the FIGA statute (F.S.631.54) as “… “Covered claim” means an unpaid claim, including one of unearned premiums, which arises out of, and is within the coverage, and not in excess of, the applicable limits of an insurance policy…”.

  • Are there limits on the amount that FIGA will pay?

    Yes. If your insurance company has been declared insolvent, covered claims will be paid by FIGA.  The maximum amount FIGA will cover is $300,000 with special limits applying to (1) damages to structure and contents on homeowners’ claims and (2) on condominium and homeowners’ association claims.  For damages to structure and contents on homeowners’ claims the FIGA cap is an additional $200,000.  For condominium and homeowners’ association claims the cap will be the lesser of policy limits or $200,000 multiplied by the number of units in the association.  No claim will be paid in excess of this cap. All claims for companies liquidated prior to July 1, 2021, are subject to a $100 FIGA deductible in addition to any deductible identified in your policy.  You may file a claim against the assets of the insurance company estate for the $100 deductible and for amounts over the cap.  The Receiver will send proof of claim forms and instructions for filing a claim. The Florida Legislature passed a law to remove the $100 FIGA deductible on any claim received from companies liquidated on or after July 1, 2021. Claims not covered by FIGA may be claims against the remaining assets (estate) of the insurance company and will be considered by the Receiver after all covered claims have been processed.

  • How long does a policyholder have to wait to receive a payment from the FIGA?

    It varies, but claim payments usually begin as soon as possible once a company is ordered liquidated.  FIGA, coordinating with the receivers of the liquidating companies, work hard to avoid delays but it is not uncommon for delays of 30-60 days after the order of liquidation.

  • Does FIGA pay all claims of an insolvent insurer?

    No. FIGA is designed as a safety net to pay certain claims arising out of policies issued by licensed insurance companies. FIGA does not pay non-policy claims or claims of self-insured groups, or other entities that are exempt from participation in the guaranty association system. FIGA coverage is limited to licensed insurers (the members of the guaranty associations that, in turn, pay insolvency-related assessments.) When a licensed insurance company becomes insolvent, the FIGA pays eligible claims; but a company does not have guaranty association coverage if it is writing non-admitted or unlicensed products, such as surplus lines or is a self-insurer covered in the non-admitted market. These limits on guaranty association coverage are necessary to balance the need to provide a safety net to those who would be most harmed by the insolvency of their insurance company and keep the burden of providing the safety net at an acceptable level.

  • What should I do after I file my claim?

    a.  As soon as possible, report damage to your agent or FIGA, even if the cause of the damage is unknown;
    b.  Make temporary repairs to prevent further damage, and remember to keep receipts for any supplies necessary for those repairs;
    c.  Save damaged items until the adjuster inspects them; additionally, take pictures and/or video, if possible, of all damages and damaged items;
    d.  Make your property easily identifiable by displaying the house address and insurance company;
    e.  Seek long term shelter if the property is uninhabitable and has sustained major damage. Reasonable expenses are generally reimbursed. The limits of your policy may determine your “Loss of Use” coverage;
    f.   Be patient, after disasters, especially larger ones, the company’s immediate response time may take longer than usual;
    g.  Prepare an inventory with receipts or other evidence of value and ownership, as necessary, to assist in the claim settlement process;
    h.  On smaller losses start getting repair estimates, if possible;
    i.   If you disagree with the settlement offer, you may wish to elect mediation or arbitration; however, first try to negotiate with the adjuster or company.

  • Is there anything else I can do about my claim?

    Yes. You will receive a form from the Receiver called a “Proof of Claim” form. In order for your claim to be considered by the Receiver you must complete the form and return it to the Receiver by the filing deadline.

  • There is a lawsuit being brought against me and I believe the insurance company should be representing me. What should I do?

    You should contact FIGA immediately at 800-988-1450. They will determine if you are entitled to receive a legal defense just as the insurance company would have done if it were still in business. You will need to cooperate with FIGA and the defense counsel just as you would have had to with your company.

  • Are my disaster evacuation expenses covered?

    (Your policy controls what is covered.) Consult your policy for this coverage.  Generally, voluntary evacuation expenses will not be covered by your insurance policy, and only under certain conditions will mandatory evacuation expenses be covered.

  • If I can’t live in my house will my insurance pay for another place for me to live?

    If a dwelling is deemed uninhabitable due to a covered loss and the insured must move, or if a civil authority prevents access to the dwelling, following a covered loss, the Additional Living Expense (ALE) provision of your homeowner’s policy may pay reasonable additional expenses. (Your policy controls this.) Consult your policy for this coverage.

  • Will the company pay for the food in my refrigerator/freezer that spoiled when the power went out?

    Most policies will pay for food spoilage when the interruption of power is caused by direct damage to the insured premises, not if the power goes out in the general area.

  • Why did the company only pay actual cash value (ACV) for my contents when I have replacement cost coverage?

    Replacement cost coverage is triggered when you actually replace the item. The company will initially pay the depreciated value (ACV) and will pay the difference between depreciated value and the replacement cost upon evidence that the items have been replaced. This applies to the structure and contents. Some companies will release replacement cost payment for the dwelling when you produce a signed repair contract from a licensed contractor. In the case of a dwelling’s total loss, the structure portion of the claim is usually paid in full. The legislature changed this in 2005 and hold back no longer applies.

  • Will the company pay for removing a tree and its debris from my property?

    In most insurance policies, the removal of a tree and its debris is generally limited to $500 per tree and a maximum payout of $1,000 for the entire property. Furthermore, it only applies if a covered structure (i.e., house, fence, utility building) is damaged, or if it blocks driveway access or a ramp that provides disability access.

  • Is the Condo Association’s assessment for the disaster claim covered under my unit owner’s policy?

    Since policies vary you should review your coverage with your agent.

    Generally, Condo Associations may assess individual units for damage to common areas which aren’t covered by the Association’s policy. Your unit owner’s policy may provide limited coverage. The standard ISO homeowners program does cover an assessment due to an association deductible but only up to $1,000. This is the case even if the policy has been endorsed to provide loss assessment coverage above the $1,000 limit that is built in. Damage must be to covered property due to a covered peril.

  • Does FIGA pay claims for insolvent insurers that write commercial policies?

    Yes. FIGA provides property and casualty coverage up to $300,000 for non-residential commercial policies.

  • Does FIGA cover condominium / homeowners’ association policy claims?

    Yes. For policies covering condominium associations or homeowners’ associations, which associations have a responsibility to provide insurance coverage on residential units within the association, shall include that amount of each covered property insurance claim which is less than $200,000 multiplied by the number of condominium units or other residential units; however, as to homeowners’ associations, this sub-subparagraph applies only to claims for damage or loss to residential units and structures attached to residential units.

  • Is my vehicle covered for the damage from a disaster?

    If your auto policy includes Comprehensive coverage (a.k.a. “Other than Collision”) at the time of a disaster, then wind and flood damages are covered. For example, auto glass broken by windblown objects, vehicles overturned by the force of the wind, or auto glass that pops out due to a sudden drop in atmospheric pressure, are all covered losses. Windshield glass claims are subject to the statutory deductible but not to your comprehensive deductible.

  • How much is my homeowner’s insurance hurricane deductible?

    Homeowner’s insurance hurricane deductibles are determined by the insured’s Dwelling Value as stated in Coverage A. For most homes, deductibles can range from a minimum of $250 to a maximum of 10 % of the home’s value.

    Individual policies have different deductibles, different coverages and specific amounts. You must read your policy to determine more specific answers.

  • Where should medical service providers send their invoices?

    All medical invoices should be mailed to:

    Florida Insurance Guaranty Association
    PO Box 14249
    Tallahassee, FL 32317

  • When can I expect FIGA to pay my unearned premium claim?

    FIGA will pay unearned premium claims after the Receiver completes its processing of the policy records and sends the unearned premium record to FIGA.  This may take several weeks or several months depending on the condition of the data at the insolvent insurance company.

  • Unearned Premium
  • Does FIGA refund premiums for the unexpired term of policies cancelled as a result of liquidation?

    FIGA will pay unearned premium claims for covered lines of business after the Florida Receiver completes its processing of the policy records and sends the unearned premium records to FIGA. Policyholders will be refunded only for the portion of unearned premium collected by the insolvent company.

  • Do policyholders need to file a claim with FIGA to receive their unearned premium?

    No, the Receiver deems claims for unearned premium as automatically filed so no action is required by the policyholder. FIGA will process return premium payments after receiving policy information from the Receiver which they traditionally deliver after the policy cancellation date.

  • Pre-Liquidation Vendors
  • I am a service provider or vendor of the insolvent company. Will FIGA pay my outstanding invoices?
    After an order of liquidation is entered by the Court, the Receiver assumes responsibility for marshalling all of the assets of the insolvent company, liquidating the assets and recommending to the Court payment of liabilities as those assets allow. In Florida, the Receiver is the Florida Department of Financial Services. All “covered claims” which are amounts payable under an insurance policy of an insolvent company (see complete definition in Florida Statute 631.54 (4)) are transferred to FIGA for the express purpose of avoiding excessive delay in the payment to claimants or policyholders (Florida Statute 631.51). Therefore, FIGA is not responsible for outstanding service provider or vendor invoices as these liabilities of the insolvent entity are not “covered claims” under the statute. You are, however, not without recourse as these outstanding invoices will be evaluated for payment by the Receiver. If you provided goods or services to the insolvent company prior to the date of liquidation you should contact the Receiver for additional instructions. Generally the Receiver requires a listing of outstanding amounts owed, along with a description of the services provided so that the request can be fairly evaluated. A Proof of Claim will need to be submitted and these can be obtained through the Receiver’s office. For a Florida insolvency you may find the web site helpful. You should not continue to provide services after the date of liquidation with the expectation of being paid by FIGA without the express written permission of FIGA. FIGA’s statutory authority is to pay claims and to retain persons necessary to handle those claims. There is no statutory authority for FIGA to pay expenses incurred prior to the liquidation as they are not "Covered Claims" – these are the responsibility of the estate and will be evaluated by the Receiver for payment following Florida Statute 631.271 under the supervision of the Court.