Skip to Content


How much is my homeowner’s insurance hurricane deductible?

Homeowner’s insurance hurricane deductibles are determined by the insured’s Dwelling Value as stated in Coverage A. For most homes, deductibles can range from a minimum of $250 to a maximum of 10 % of the home’s value.

Individual policies have different deductibles, different coverages and specific amounts. You must read your policy to determine more specific answers.


Is my vehicle covered for the damage from a disaster?

If your auto policy includes Comprehensive coverage (a.k.a. “Other than Collision”) at the time of a disaster, then wind and flood damages are covered. For example, auto glass broken by windblown objects, vehicles overturned by the force of the wind, or auto glass that pops out due to a sudden drop in atmospheric pressure, are all covered losses. Windshield glass claims are subject to the statutory deductible but not to your comprehensive deductible.

Does FIGA cover condominium / homeowners’ association policy claims?

Yes.  For policies covering condominium associations or homeowners’ associations, which associations have a responsibility to provide insurance coverage on residential units within the association, shall include that amount of each covered property insurance claim which is less than $100,000 multiplied by the number of condominium units or other residential units; however, as to homeowners’ associations, this sub-subparagraph applies only to claims for damage or loss to residential units and structures attached to residential units.

Does FIGA pay claims for insolvent insurers that write commercial policies?

Yes.  FIGA provides property and casualty coverage which includes only the amount of each covered claim which is in excess of $100 and is less than $300,000.

Is the Condo Association’s assessment for the disaster claim covered under my unit owner’s policy?

Since policies vary you should review your coverage with your agent.

Generally, Condo Associations may assess individual units for damage to common areas which aren’t covered by the Association’s policy. Your unit owner’s policy may provide limited coverage. The standard ISO homeowners program does cover an assessment due to an association deductible but only up to $1,000. This is the case even if the policy has been endorsed to provide loss assessment coverage above the $1,000 limit that is built in. Damage must be to covered property due to a covered peril.


Will the company pay for removing a tree and its debris from my property?

In most insurance policies, the removal of a tree and its debris is generally limited to $500 per tree and a maximum payout of $1,000 for the entire property. Furthermore, it only applies if a covered structure (i.e., house, fence, utility building) is damaged, or if it blocks driveway access or a ramp that provides disability access.

Why did the company only pay actual cash value (ACV) for my contents when I have replacement cost coverage?

Replacement cost coverage is triggered when you actually replace the item. The company will initially pay the depreciated value (ACV) and will pay the difference between depreciated value and the replacement cost upon evidence that the items have been replaced. This applies to the structure and contents. Some companies will release replacement cost payment for the dwelling when you produce a signed repair contract from a licensed contractor. In the case of a dwelling’s total loss, the structure portion of the claim is usually paid in full.

Will the company pay for the food in my refrigerator/freezer that spoiled when the power went out?

Most policies will pay for food spoilage when the interruption of power is caused by direct damage to the insured premises, not if the power goes out in the general area.

If I can’t live in my house will my insurance pay for another place for me to live?

If a dwelling is deemed uninhabitable due to a covered loss and the insured must move, or if a civil authority prevents access to the dwelling, following a covered loss, the Additional Living Expense (ALE) provision of your homeowner’s policy may pay reasonable additional expenses. (Your policy controls this.) Consult your policy for this coverage.

Are my disaster evacuation expenses covered?

(Your policy controls what is covered.) Consult your policy for this coverage.  Generally, voluntary evacuation expenses will not be covered by your insurance policy, and only under certain conditions will mandatory evacuation expenses be covered.

Syndicate content